after grub, stripy screen

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Mon Oct 24 02:21:43 UTC 2005

On Mon, Oct 24, 2005 at 02:59:28PM +1300, Grant Allan wrote:
> >> i think it is a bug that anaconda does not set up /etc/inittab to match
> >> the settings used when installing.  eg. if the user types "linux
> >> resolution=800x600" when installing, then that same setting should be
> >> put
> >> into /etc/inittab.  what does anybody think about that?
> >
> > Good, no, great idea.  Actually it installs at a fairly low common
> > denominator because initially it doesn't know what it's working with
> > or even if it can work with it.  When it gets to X configuration, if
> > it can come up with something workable (as far as it can tell) it
> > writes that info to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
> >
> > /etc/inittab is not the right place by any stretch of the imagination.
>
> hey, thanks!  do you think i should make an official suggestion somewhere?
>  is that easy to do?
>
> cheers,
> grant

Umm, I think one of us misunderstood.  What I said was that it is
already doing The Right Thing _if_ it figures out the video card
correctly.  In your case it did its best to configure for the card,
and since it couldn't see your side of the monitor, it went with what
it saw on its side.  And it was wrong.

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.