Cannot ftp or telnet to linux : help required

John Dunn jdunn at sefas.com
Wed Oct 26 11:41:29 UTC 2005

I cannot ftp or telnet to my redhat 9 linux box.

It can ftp or telnet to itself, but I cannot do so from any other machine.

This is just a test machine so please do not tell me to use ssh. I just want
to be able to telnet and ftp.

1. I have the firewall configuration set to no firewall

2. I have tried stopping iptables but that did not help

3. hosts.allow and hosts.deny are empty.
4. xinetrd.d/telnet has disable = no

5. hosts file contains only an entry of 127.0.0.1 for the localhost and an
entry for the machine ipaddress and hostname

6. When I try to ftp I get the following message in /var/log/messages :

vsftpd : warning : can't get client address : Bad file descriptor :

7. There are also messages as follows :
modprobe: cannot locate module binfmt-0500
but I am not sure whether they are connected to the telnet or ftp.

Any ideas what is wrong?

This was working at one point!

All help appreciated.

John Dunn