general install question

chuck lawrence celawrence at lbl.gov
Mon Oct 31 18:14:21 UTC 2005

greetings,

this happens to me pretty regularly, and I don't really understand the
process needed to resolve...

a new pc arrives, with brand new components.  the NIC and/or video card
are especially new and fancy.

my redhat install media doesn't know what to do about one or the other
(or both), and so the e-z, gui-driven installation either fails to start
(new video - no X), or can't reach my various network services, e.g.
NFS, NIS, etc (new NIC - no networking).

so far, I've either swapped components for known hardware, or waited.
eventually rh catches up and next month's release may work with last
month's hardware.

presumably, the right thing to do is do a text-based load and then
manually locate and install drivers, assuming they exist.  is that
correct?  could someone post examples?

adv<thanks>ance

--

  | charles e. lawrence | lawrence berkeley nat'l lab |

     "If the human body did patch management the way
      (companies do), we'd all be dead."

                www-eng.lbl.gov/~lawrence