Upgrading RHAS 2.1 to RHEL 3.0

Tech Guy tek_guy at rediffmail.com
Mon Oct 31 18:55:01 UTC 2005

Hello,

I would like to know what is the best way of upgrading RHAS 2.1 to Red hat Enterprise Linux 3.0

I have a server running RHAS 2.1 with these filesystems with quite enough free disk space.
 /
 /boot
 /dev/shm
 /tmp
 /usr
 /var
 /home

My concern is I have Websphere installed on /home (I guess there should be an option to preserver /home while upgrading) but it writes certain libraries in /usr/lib and /usr/local/ibm and so if I dont preserve /usr then I guess I am going to loose all these libs. Same case with /etc. If I don't preserve /etc then I need to copy some of the old files to etc.
 I cannot re-install websphere. It would be painful as it is in clustered env.

What is the best way to upgrade to 3.0 without loosing my files and libs. Is there any pre-caution that I have to take.

I appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,
TG