crashing after install

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 1 16:44:15 UTC 2005

jim ruxton wrote:
> I just got a new machine and installed FC3 on it. I left it running
> overnight and it crashed. There was noise on the monitor when I woke up.
> I tried pinging it but it was dead. I reset it and looked
> in /var/log/messages but couldn't find anything except a gap between the
> last cron event and when I rebooted. After booting up I was mousing
> around and the machine froze, this time the last image stayed on the
> screen ie. no noise. Again I rebooted but couldn't find anything in the
> log files. Should I bring this back to the store? I'm worried the store
> will blame the crash on Linux. Any thoughts?

The first thing is to send us a full list of what the machine is.
Make and model (if a packaged system), motherboard make and model (if
you built it yourself), memory configuration, disk drive configs
(interface types such as IDE, EIDE, SATA, SCSI, etc. along with the
models if known), video card make and model, keyboard/mouse (USB or
PS/2), network cards and any additional stuff you have on it (firewire
drives, USB drives, etc.).

If you can, also include the output of the "lspci -v" command.

Second, boot of the first FC disk and run "memtest" at the "boot:"
prompt to test your memory.  If the memory is OK, then we need to
look further into it and the data from item 1 above is necessary.
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -