Fedora Core CD

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 1 18:19:21 UTC 2005

E. Craig Brown wrote:
> Rick,
> Thanks for the info. I am confused. The boot CD that I created came from
> an ISO image that was contained within the ISO image for Disk 1 of the
> set that I downloaded from the Red Hat download center. I used all the
> files from version 4 and 3 I downloaded the set of 4 images from each,
> created cds from them, then copied the ISO from Disk1 in the boot folder
> and used that to create the boot CD. Each set of disks then is being
> used together with the boot image from the first disk in the set. Both
> of these sets of disks had the same error on installation.
>
> Since my initial posting, I tried the set of disks on a desktop
> computer. They are recognized as valid disks on that computer. Since I
> created these from a set, I am unsure of how to proceed. Any thoughts?

There should only be four ISO images for RHEL.  Burn each to a CD as
an image file (you've done that successfully).  The first CD is bootable
in and of itself...you don't need to do anything else.  Just burn the CD
and boot it.

For FC2, FC3 and FC4, there are four install disks and a "rescue CD"
image.  You only need the first four discs for each, and again, disc 1
of each of those is the boot disk.  The "rescue CD" for each is useful
if you have a bad crash and need to recover the system, but the first
disc can do that for you also.

In summary, these are the disks and how to use them.  Note that "rhel-3"
should be replaced by "rhel-4" for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (RHEL4):

     Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Advanced Server, four images:
	rhel-3-as-disc1.iso:		First install disk, BOOTABLE
	rhel-3-as-disc2.iso:		Second install disk
	rhel-3-as-disc3.iso:		Third install disk
	rhel-3-as-disc4.iso:		Fourth install disk

     Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) Enhanced Server, four images:
	rhel-3-es-disc1.iso:		First install disk, BOOTABLE
	rhel-3-es-disc2.iso:		Second install disk
	rhel-3-es-disc3.iso:		Third install disk
	rhel-3-es-disc4.iso:		Fourth install disk

     Fedora Core 1 (FC1, aka "yarrow"), three images:
	yarrow-i386-disc1.iso:		First install disk, BOOTABLE
	yarrow-i386-disc2.iso:		Second install disk
	yarrow-i386-disc3.iso:		Third install disk

     Fedora Core 2 (FC2, aka "tettnang"), five images:
	tettnang-i386-disc1.iso:	First install disk, BOOTABLE
	tettnang-i386-disc2.iso:	Second install disk
	tettnang-i386-disc3.iso:	Third install disk
	tettnang-i386-disc4.iso:	Fourth install disk
	tettnang-i386-rescuecd.iso:	Rescue disk, BOOTABLE

     Fedora Core 3 (FC3, aka "heidelberg"), five images:
	heidelberg-i386-disc1.iso:	First install disk, BOOTABLE
	heidelberg-i386-disc2.iso:	Second install disk
	heidelberg-i386-disc3.iso:	Third install disk
	heidelberg-i386-disc4.iso:	Fourth install disk
	heidelberg-i386-rescuecd.iso:	Rescue disk, BOOTABLE

     Fedora Core 4 (FC4, aka "stentz"), five images:
	stentz-i386-disc1.iso:		First install disk, BOOTABLE
	stentz-i386-disc2.iso:		Second install disk
	stentz-i386-disc3.iso:		Third install disk
	stentz-i386-disc4.iso:		Fourth install disk
	stentz-i386-rescuecd.iso:	Rescue disk, BOOTABLE

Note that FC2, FC3, and FC4 all also have DVD images available.  If you
burn that to a DVD, you only need one disk.  The DVD is bootable and
contains the rescue information as well.

By the way, we prefer bottom posting on this list.

> At 10:25 AM 9/1/2005, you wrote:
>
>> E. Craig Brown wrote:
>>
>>> I am attempting to install RH Linux on a Dell, Windows XP service
>>> pack 2 laptop. I have downloaded several different versions of the
>>> ISO files and burned them to disk. The burn does expand the iso file
>>> into multiple files and directories on the resulting CD. I used the
>>> boot ISO from disk one to generate a boot CD for my computer. I
>>> booted the computer and indicated I wanted to install, answered the
>>> questions about the language and keyboard, then was prompted to
>>> locate the Fedora Core CD. No matter which of the disks I place in
>>> the drive, they all receive the following:
>>> The Fedora Core CD was not found in any of your CDROM drives. Please
>>> insert the Fedora Core CD and press OK to retry.
>>> As I indicated earlier, I have downloaded several different versions
>>> of the installer ISOs with exactly the same result. I am unable to
>>> continue with the installation.
>>> What am I doing wrong? Is there other another download ISO to get? I
>>> am following the installation guide found on the installation page at
>>> RH, it indicates that I download the x86 32 bit files (4 total). The
>>> computer boots into the installation program as suggested by the
>>> guide, but is unable to recognize any of the other disks as
>>> containing the Fedora Core.
>>

>> Fedora Core (FC) is NOT Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL).  You can't boot
>> an FC CD and install RHEL from other CDs, nor can you boot a RHEL CD and
>> install FC from other CDs.  They are not compatible.
>>
>> The boot loader for FC expects FC CDs and vice versa.  If you're
>> installing RHEL, boot the first RHEL CD.  If you're installing Fedora,
>> boot the first Fedora CD.
>> - Rick Stevens, Senior Systems Engineer     rstevens at vitalstream.com -
>> - VitalStream, Inc.                       http://www.vitalstream.com -
>> -     If Bill Gates got a dime for every time Windows crashes...     -
>> -              ...oh, wait.  He does.  THAT explains it!             -

-   I haven't lost my mind.  It's backed up on tape somewhere, but   -
-                       probably not recoverable.                    -