Starting on bootup

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 2 21:26:06 UTC 2005

jim ruxton wrote:
> I'm using Fedora 3 and was wondering how I can have a computer boot up
> on powerup without asking for username and password. Also where can I
> put commands to start a program automatically once the computer boots
> up. Thanks.

Uh, that doesn't make a lot of sense.  The machine will boot without a
username unless an fsck fails and requires manual intervention.  The
only time a machine needs a username and password is to start up an
interactive session.

To run programs at boot, stick the commands in /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
- ...Had this been an actual emergency, we would have fled in terror -
-                      and you'd be on your own, pal!                -