Intalling Extensions Netfilter in Iptables

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 12 17:04:17 UTC 2005

Rodrigo Faria Tavares wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I try to recompile iptables 1.2.11.
>
> [root at faria iptables-1.2.11]# make
> KERNEL_DIR=/usr/src/linux-2.6.12
> Extensions found: IPv4:addrtype IPv4:CLUSTERIP  IPv4:layer7 IPv4:recent
> IPv6:ah IPv6:esp IPv6:frag
> IPv6:ipv6header IPv6:hbh IPv6:dst IPv6:rt cc -O2 -Wall -Wunused
> -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.12/include -Iinclude/
> -DIPTABLES_VERSION=\"1.2.11\"  -fPIC -o
> extensions/libipt_ah_sh.o -c extensions/libipt_ah.c In file included from
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.12/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4.h:8,
>                  from
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.12/include/linux/netfilter_ipv4/ip_tables.h:26,
>                  from include/libiptc/libiptc.h:6,
>                  from include/iptables.h:5,
>                  from extensions/libipt_ah.c:8:
> /usr/src/linux-2.6.12/include/linux/config.h:6:2:
> #error including kernel header in userspace; use the
> glibc headers instead!
> make: ** [extensions/libipt_ah_sh.o] Erro 1
> [root at faria iptables-1.2.11]#
>
> I search for solutions in google, but in don´t have success.

It's probably a LOT smarter to just update the binary RPM.  Is there a
reason you're trying to build it from source?

If you insist on building the source, did you run "./configure" before
you ran "make"?  The sequence to build things from a tarball normally
is:

	$ cd /some/working/directory
	$ tar xzf name-of-tarball.gz
	$ cd directory/created/by/tar/command
	$ ./configure
	$ make
	$ su
	# make install

The "./configure" configures the source code for your environment and
will (usually) figure out which set of header files to use.  Also note
that the vast majority of tarballs will, by default, try to install into
/usr/local.  You may want to "./configure --prefix=/" to make it install
into the root of your filesystem (most Red Hat RPMs are set up to do
that).  You can get a list of what options configure uses by running
the command as:

	$ ./configure --help

-  What's small, yellow and very, VERY dangerous?  The root canary!  -