Having problems with rc.local

Bob McClure Jr robertmcclure at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 22:05:19 UTC 2005

On Tue, Sep 13, 2005 at 05:46:44PM -0400, jim ruxton wrote:

> > If you would please, we prefer bottom posting here.
> >
> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top-posting
> >
> > I'll rearrange this.

> > > Thanks Bob,
> > > Tried as you suggested. Not sure that it tells me much. Below is the
> > > info. from /var/log/messages after booting up. and after that what was
> > > written after doing rc.local manually. It looks like in both cases the
> > > uhci info is being loaded identically ?? Do you see anything suspicious.
> > > My camera is on usb 5-1.
> > >
> > > <log posting snipped>
> > >
> > > jim
> >
> > Perhaps we need to back up a little further.  Please describe what
> > happens if you comment out the rc.local dodge and reboot.  What is
> > the end result that fails to happen?  The camera is not acknowledged?
> > What error messages?
> >
> > Also, to Rick Stevens: you may be able to solve this better than I.
> > Feel free to jump in.
>
> Thanks Bob,
> I'm ccing this to the developer of capture in case he has some ideas
> about this.

I think that's a good idea.

> When I reboot without the rc.local dodge if I go to start my camera I
> can't initialize it unless I turn the camera off and back on again once
> the machine has booted. I'm using a program called capture based on
> libptp http://www.ucl.cas.cz/~petr/plant-growth/ .
>
> normally I just issue a:
> $ capture start
> command to initialize the camera. If I turn the camera on boot the
> machine and issue this it doesn't work. I get an error message saying
> "can't initialize the camera" If I boot the machine then turn the camera
> on it works fine. I am trying to build a system that allows someone to
> turn on the camera, boot the machine and walk away. I haven't been able
> to find any error messages in the system logs. Any more thoughts on
> this? Thanks!
> Jim

Okay, if I understand correctly, after booting, just running "capture
start" doesn't work.  But if you either turn the camera off and back
on, or unload and reload the USB driver, then "capture start" works.

Hmm.  I dunno.  Someone else have an idea?

Cheers,
robertmcclure at earthlink.net  http://www.bobcatos.com
Peace at any price is inflationary.