RHEL4 and Kernel Build from Source incl. xen source

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Sep 15 17:22:06 UTC 2005

Thomas.vonSteiger at swisscom.com wrote:

> My kernel-2.6.9-11.EL.src.rpm has 39,4Mb and
> kernel-devel-2.6.9-11.EL.i686.rpm has 3,7Mb
> I think, inside kernel-devel there is no kernel source.
> There are only Makefile and Headerfile in kernel-devel.

You're right, I misspoke.  kernel-devel is eqivalent (sorta) to the old
kernel-headers RPM.

Anyway,  the process to build the kernel source is to (as root):

	1. Download the kernel source RPM
	2. Install it
	3. Execute these commands:

		# cd /usr/src/redhat/SPEC
		# rpmbuild --bp --target=i686 kernel-2.6.spec
		# cd ../BUILD/kernel-2.6/linux-2.6.9
		# cp -a * /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-11

You now have a full kernel source tree in /usr/src/linux-2.6.9-11.
Edit the "Makefile" and change the "EXTRAVERSION=" line to reflect
your patchlevel and such.  Then configure the kernel normally and
away you go.

No, I've not used Xen.  Just haven't had the time.
-              Never eat anything larger than your head              -