Add/remove programs

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at McKesson.com
Thu Sep 15 21:35:25 UTC 2005

-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Stevens [mailto:rstevens at vitalstream.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 15, 2005 5:17 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: Add/remove programs

Allen, Jack wrote:
> I know if you are logged in via X on the system console you can
> Add/Remove programs from the Install CDs. Is there a command at the
> shell prompt to do the same thing? I know I have asked this before and
> there was on AS 3, but this is AS 4 and I can not find  my old email
> about this.

Sure, "redhat-install-packages" is the actual command that's run.  Or
you could use RPM directly:

	# rpm -ivh /media/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/name-of-rpm.rpm
-   Never test for an error condition you don't know how to handle.  -

I can not find "redhat-install-packages" anywhere. I did (find / -name
"redhat-install*" -print) and it returns nothing. I don't know the name of
the package, so I was hoping to get a list somewhat like you get when you
are first installing the system. Then I would pick the item I wanted.

Thanks:
	Jack Allen