Add/remove programs

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 16 00:41:21 UTC 2005

Allen, Jack wrote:
 > Thanks. That is sort of what I was looking for. They will allow me to
 > do some things from my desk with out having to go to the computer
 > center her at the office. I have to run WRQ Reflections X to use them.
 > What I was really looking for was a dumb terminal interface to be able
 > to do things on a customer's system that I can only access via telnet
 > through a firewall.

I think Bob was right.  FC2 (which AS/ES4 is based on), renamed the
command to "/usr/bin/system-install-packages".  I didn't know if Red Hat
had reverted back to "redhat-install-packages" since its the commercial
product.

In text mode, you'll probably have to use rpm directly as I mentioned
in a previous message, as "system-install-packages" (as well as
"system-config-packages") expects the GUI environment.

When you put in a Red Hat CD, it'll mount as /media/cdrom, and the
RPM files will be located in

	/media/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS

If the machine is registered with Red Hat, you can use

	up2date -i packagename

to do it as well (it will pull the package down from the Red Hat Network
servers as opposed to the CD).
-   "Do you suffer from long-term memory loss?"  "I don't remember"  -
-                            -- Chumbawumba, "Amnesia" (TubThumping) -