Owner:Group on untarred program

mylar micros50 at computer.net
Fri Sep 16 17:16:48 UTC 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 11:47, redhat at buglecreek.com wrote:
> I untared a program (chkrootkit) as root on a Redhat ES4 system and the
> directory it created has the following owner and group:
>  drwxr-xr-x  2   1000   1000  4096
> UID 1000 and GID 1000 does not exist on the system.

Yeah, I forget exactly  how it works but me tinks they default to the
uid/gid of whomever created  the tarball. You could run a "chown" on the
directory to change everything to a valid uid/gid but I usually never
bother, if your kit is good it should build okay regardless.

> After I compiled the
> source the
> ...All executables are owned by root but the .c files are UID 1000.  Doing
> a tar tzvf on the tar ball outputs:

Makes sense, whatever gets built when you do  "make" will carry the
user/group of the user doing the build or, whomever was suid to run as.
Similarly should be the case for directries created and files copied
when you run "make install"

> drwxr-xr-x rn/               0 2005-02-22 07:06:40 chkrootkit-0.45/
> -r--r--r-- rn/            8771 2004-09-06 13:24:56

> ?  Also, what does the rn/ mean in the tar
> file?

The name of the directory under which the tarball was made.

mylar