Compress command and the old BuilCD application on Red Hat Enterprise 4 WS

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Sep 16 17:46:59 UTC 2005

Sidney Abrahams wrote:
> I need to use the compress feature to save data to an ext2 file, and then
> use the Buildcd to save it to a CD writer.  How can I get that done in WS 4?

I'm not 100% sure I'm grokking this, but I'll have a go.

I wouldn't recommend "compress" as it used an algorithm that has some
copyright problems (Honeywell-Bull was insisting on license fees not
too far back).  It's better to use gzip (which uses Lempel-Ziv, is
copyright-free and compresses better than "compress") or bzip2 (which
is also copyright-free and compresses better than gzip).  The vast
majority of modern systems have gzip available, and most also have
bzip2.

The closest replacement for buildcd that I can think of offhand is
"mkisofs".
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -