RPM error with PGP 6.5.8 installation

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Sep 26 20:31:19 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-26 at 15:10 -0400, FS wrote:
> [Cross posted to Fedora list]
>
> Hello all,
>
> While trying to install PGP 6.5.8 cmd line RPM (downloaded from
> http://www.pgpi.org/products/pgp/versions/freeware/unix/6.5.8/) , I'm
> getting the following error:
>
> root at c7504s98 /usr/local/downloads/PGP$ rpm -Uvh
> PGPcmdln_6.5.8_Lnx_FW.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libstdc++.so.2.8 is needed by pgp-6.5.8-rsaref658
>
> I googled on this and found some tips to ln -s the current version
> (libstdc++.so.5.0.5) to libstdc++.so.2.8 but that doesn't work too.

Did they also tell you to rerun ldconfig after making the link?

> I'm not too sure what the lib files are used for, but it seems that
> the 5.0.5 would be newer than the 2.8.
>
> Any help/tips/pointers appreciated!

The package you got was designed the older library.  That's what it's
linked against so you have to satisfy it somehow.  There's two ways to
do that:

Set up the symlink as the google search told you, and run "ldconfig -v"
so the linker knows about it.  This may satisfy rpm.

Force the RPM to load via "rpm -ivh --force --nodeps".  I don't
recommend that.  The RPMwill install, but it may not work properly.

If you insist on keeping that C library, then I'd REALLY suggest you
download the source RPM and rebuild it.
-         The world is coming to an end ... SAVE YOUR FILES!!!       -