CUPS admin for users

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Sep 30 02:31:14 UTC 2005

On Thu, September 29, 2005 8:15 pm, Mark Knecht said:
> On 9/29/05, Ted Potter <tpotter at techmarin.com> wrote:
>> On Thursday 29 September 2005 4:55 pm, Mark Knecht wrote:
>> >
>> > Thanks Alexey,
>> >    These instructions seem pretty straight forward, but I'm really
>> > fuzzy tonight. How do I restart the cups daemon after editing the
>> > cupsd.conf file without rebooting. I'm tired/
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Mark
>> >

>> /etc/rc.d/init.d/cupsd restart
>
> What I should have done...
>

>> or turn on the tube and grab a brew depending....  :-)
>
> Pretty much what I did do. ;-)

Since I don't drink, let me be a bit more pragmatic. I would recommend
getting used to the following command:

service servicename [stop|start|restart|status]

where in your situation, would appear as

service cupsd restart

though I prefer to do a service srvname stop, then service srvname start
with a bit of time between. I think that's because I'm used to working on
heavily loaded systems where the services which have to read large config
files need time to 'breath' between stops and starts else sometimes they
don't start up right. I'm probably just paranoid however, so that might
not be necessary.

Karl

> Thanks,
> Mark

>> --
>> Ted Potter
>> tpotter at techmarin.com
>> www.techmarin.com

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---