Maile Server - Sendmail

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 8 03:57:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, April 7, 2006 9:31 pm, Bret Stern said:

> I want to host my own mail server, and quit
> paying my ISP 24.95 per month for it.
>
> My FC4 server has sendmail, (which I have
> shut off right now), but I would like to activate
> the service and start using my own server for mail.
>
> What things do I need to do this?
>
> What is an A record??

See my previous email. This is part of the DNS/named realm. A 'A' record is
the main DNS pointer to your IP address. Oh, and you really only need one,
not all 5, unless you want to put a box outside the DMZ to host a
Counterstrike gaming server, for instance... Put it on Windows 2003 server
and let the hackers party! It runs better on Linux, however.

Sendmail is very complex, but learnable. And, having tried the others, setup
is easier and with it pre-installed, possible... Make sure to enable dovecot
as the IMAP server. It's very fast. sendmail.mc is where you'll need to
start to get it working. By default, sendmail won't accept any email from
anything other than the localhost, for security reasons. As you get into it,
there are some good helpers on this list who've been there.

> Bret Stern
>
> 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained'

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---