web server

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Sat Apr 8 05:10:49 UTC 2006

>>> I'm pretty much doing what you're proposing
>>> (http://www.hallikainen.org).
>>> I started slow and built stuff up over the years.
>>>
>>> I'm running a Linksys BEFSR81 router between the DSL and the LAN. I
>>> have
>>> it forwarding ports for http, ssh, smtp, and ssl to the FC4 machine.
>>> I'm
>>> using sendmail for sending and receiving email (relaying it through my
>>> ISPs smtp server). I'm using Apache for web serving. I'm using dovecot
>>> as
>>> the  IMAP server. I'm using SquirrelMail as my webmail client. These
>>> are
>>> all included with FC4.
>>>
>>> Mostly I go through the config files making small modifications in the
>>> hopes of getting stuff to do what I want. Before modifying a config, I
>>> cp
>>> it to filename.HH.1 where 1 changes with each revision and HH is a flag
>>> so
>>> I can easily find modified configs.
>>>
>>> One of the changes I made in Apache config is to put the document root
>>> at
>>> /home/harold/public_html instead of /var/www or wherever it defaults.
>>> That
>>> makes it easy for me to make changes without becoming root.
>>>
>>> For DNS, I'm using http://www.dns2go.com. I told Networks Solutions to
>>> use
>>> the DNS2go servers for my dns. dns2go is designed to provide dns
>>> services
>>> to people with dynamic IP addresses (both you and I have static). Even
>>> though I have a static IP, I'm running the dns2go script so it knows my
>>> server's IP address. This came in handy a couple years ago when I
>>> moved. I
>>> pulled the server from home and put it in my office for a few weeks. No
>>> one knew the difference. The IP address changed as appropriate. When I
>>> got
>>> DSL in our new home, I moved the server there, plugged it in, and it
>>> was
>>> on line. Real simple!
>>>
>>> So... I suggest just start messing with it. Decide what service you
>>> want
>>> to get working first. Keep banging on it until it works. Ask questions
>>> here.
>>>
>>> Good luck!
>>>
>>> Harold
>>

>> One more thing to try is webmin. I think you can use yum to install it.
>> As
>> root, type yum install webmin. Then go to https://localhost:10000 and
>> login as root. Lots of config stuff available there, including Apache.
>
> Harold, your help is great. But (isn't that always one? I'm the Butt
> here),
> Webmin hammers the config files. Not in a bad way, but if you want the
> commented files, forget it. All the comments are stripped out. Frankly,
> once
> you get familiar with things, that's not bad either. Since I'm a
> [...]

Thanks for the comments! I haven't used webmin much. I've mostly just
looked around. Hopefully I didn't delete all my config file comments. I
have thus far edited config files using pico (which comes with pine).

So... maybe it's best to stick to just editing the files with a text
editor. Generally the comments in the config files are very good and
enough to figure out what's going on.

Harold

--
FCC Rules Updated Daily at http://www.hallikainen.com