more on bogged down server

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Apr 12 19:44:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, April 12, 2006 12:37 pm, Rick Stevens said:

>> I REALLY appreciate all the help on this list!

Me too. Even when I haven't asked for it and something comes across . . .

> Check with your ISP to see if they changed the polling intervals or
> any other parameter having to do with your transmission pipe.  Sometimes
> they add a lot of new clients onto your ring, so they shorten your
> poll time to accommodate the new users.  My ISP did that to me on my
> cable modem and I raised holy hell with them.  My poll period was down
> to 5-10mS!  Ridiculous!  I told them I wasn't paying $40 a month for
> farking 9600-baud dialup speeds.

Okay, so how do I tell if that's my problem? My ISP changed our DSL link to
a different piece of hardware and the speed went from 6896 to 640k, the
Qwest default. They've fixed that, but it still appears that my downloads,
though much faster, are still not what they were before the move, even
though the older equipment only allowed me to train at 6896 instead of 7168,
which is what I'm trained at now.

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---