more on bogged down server

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Thu Apr 13 19:53:14 UTC 2006

>> strace sounds interesting. I'll have to read up on it. Meanwhile, is
> there
>> some way to take a pid out of top and see what url(s) httpd is working
> on?
>>
>> Prior to making the trip to Arkansas when this problem first appeared,
>> DID do an update to gallery, the photo gallery program. Looking at
> httpd
>> logs, I see search engines calling the slideshow, which is pretty
>> processor intensive. So, I've added gallery to my disallow list in
>> robots.txt . Also, looking through gallery config last night, I found
>> there's an option that improves cpu usage by about 90% by only
> updating
>> dynamic pages every 15 minutes instead of recreating them on the fly.
> I'll
>> see how these two changes help.
>
> Gallery - is in gallery2?
> http://gallery.menalto.com/

Yes, that's what I'm running, gallery2. I had been running gallery1 for
years, but it was a pain to update several virtual domains. Gallery2 lets
me have a single set of code that all the domains use. Some users are
complaining about the usability of it versus gallery1, but I'm hoping it's
just learing curve.

I restarted httpd a few hours ago when the load had gotten up to about 15.
It's now worked its way up to 3.58. I still see Google asking for stuff
out of gallery. I guess they haven't read the robots.txt yet.

lsof looks like a neat utility! Unfortunately, it's not installed on this
machine. I tried installing it, and it wanted libc.so.6 . I was kind of
hoping yum would take care of all the dependencies, but I guess not this
one. So... off hunting for libc.so.6!

THANKS!

Harold

--