Stripping down red hat cds

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 20 20:26:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-04-20 at 15:40 -0400, Mark Hammerton wrote:
> I wanted to created a single RHEL v4 CD {down from 5cds} during the
> installation i know which packages i need however i want to know which
> rpms would i need to keep such as including and fixing dependeencies
> so i can do a base instal from one cd or one jump drive.
>
> I can show you the ks.cfg file so you can see which pacages i need

This is not a trivial thing.  It's not merely a matter of stripping
out RPMs you don't want.  The installer knows what the layout of the
CDs are (which RPMs are on which CD), the SHA1 or MD5 checksum of the
discs, etc.).  You have to bugger that database as well or the installer
(a.k.a. "anaconda") will reject your CD.

I'd suggest a "google" search on "remaster Red Hat CDs".  Here is one
link to a relevant article...note that you'll have to check the message
archive to find his actual scripts.

https://www.redhat.com/archives/anaconda-devel-list/2006-January/msg00018.html

-    When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.     -