Strange Directory

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 26 18:15:58 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 11:33 -0600, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Been trying to clean up my hard drive and I have a directory
> labled "all-20050412" in my home directory and it's got a lot of
> dll files in it.
>
> There is a README file that indicated it's there to  help play
> different sound files.  It says it shoudl be loaded in
> /usr/local/lib/codecs but I don't have such a directory.  If I
> make the directory and move everything there will what ever player
> needs it be able to find it?  Also, do I move just the files or
> the directory?

Did you install a multimedia player such as Totem, Xine, mplayer or
Ogle from a tarball?  It sounds like Xine or Ogle to me.  If so, then
the odds are that they expect things in /usr/local/lib, so:

	# mv all-20050412 /usr/local/lib/codecs

should do it.  If you installed a player from an RPM, the odds are that
the codecs want to go in /usr/lib/codecs.  It's best to fire up the
player and go through its config info.  That should tell you where it
wants the codecs.

-               Duct Tape + Magic Marker = Label Maker!              -