RHEL4 Kickstart Partition Question

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 26 18:38:15 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 14:13 -0400, Vito Laurenza wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to specify the number of bytes per inode on a partion in my
> kickstart config.  I am familiar with the mkfs.ext3 flag
> --bytes-per-inode.  Is there a way to pass this flag through kickstart?
>
> I've noticed in my googling that in older versions of kickstart (as late
> as RH 8) there was a flag to the 'part' option (--bytes-per-inode=)
> which allowed this.  It seems like this flag was removed in later
> versions of kickstart.  Is there anyway that I can have this
> functionality with kickstart and RHEL4?

I'm afraid not.  You could boot in rescue mode and partition the drive
there, specifying your bytes per inode.  Then you'd modify your
kickstart file to NOT reformat the existing partitions on install.  I
know that sort of defeats the purpose of simple installs via kickstart,
but if you're bound and determined to force a non-automatic byte-per-
inode setting, that's what you'd have to do.

Why was it removed?  That's a question you'd have to ask the Red Hat
gang.  I suspect that a number of people got into trouble with wasting
large amounts of disk space by dedicating, say, 16KB to an inode.

> Thanks in advance,
> Vito
>
> :::: Vito Laurenza
> ::   Systems Administrator
> ::   Advance Internet
> ::   201.793.1807
> ::   vlaurenz at advance.net

-        God is real...........unless declared integer or long       -