RHEL 4 and HP dx5150

Mauro Gasparri MGasparri at turismo-pecom.com.ar
Wed Apr 26 20:53:20 UTC 2006

No luck with "linux noapic". Also no update for BIOS. It's courious, but
both on HP and Red Hat web sites, it says that RHEL 4 is certified for HP
dx5150.

Tryed disabling APIC from BIOS also.

When I go to install log (via Ctrl+Alt+3), y see:

formatting / as ext3
formatting /boot as ext3
error reading swap label on /dev/VolGroup00: [Errno 21] Is a directory
error reading xfs label on /dev/VolGroup00: [Errno 21] Is a directory
error reading jfs label on /dev/VolGroup00: [Errno 21] Is a directory

Tryed with another hard disk, with no success.

The problem is when /boot is finishing format, between that and the
begginning of file copy.

Regards,

Mauro Gasparri
mgasparri at turismo-pecom.com.ar

Rick Stevens <rstevens at vitalstream.com>
Sent by: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
26/04/2006 17:20
Please respond to
Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>

Getting started with Red Hat Linux <redhat-install-list at redhat.com>,
MGasparri at turismo-pecom.com.ar
cc

Subject
Re: RHEL 4 and HP dx5150

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 15:52 -0300, Mauro Gasparri wrote:

> I'm having problems when installing Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 ES
> Update 3 on HP dx5150 (Athlon64, SATA disk, ATI chipset).
>
> Everything goes right on the graphical setup wizard, but before
> beginning copying the files (just after formatting /boot partition), I
> receive this message:
>
> install exited abnormally
> sending termination signals...done
> disabling swap...
> etc
> etc
> etc
> you may safely reboot your system
>
> I tryed:
>
> - Basic install
> - Full install
> - linux noprobe
> - linux nofb
> - linux acpi=off
> - linux ide=nodma
>
> Fedora Core 4 works perfect.
>
> Please, any help would me appreciated.

Try "linux noapic" and see how that works.  It's not uncommon for the
BIOS to muck up the APIC routing.  You should also see if there's a BIOS
update for the machine.

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com

TURISMO PECOM
Sistema de Gestión de Calidad Certificado ISO 9001:2000
Visite nuestra página WEB http://www.turismo-pecom.com.ar
NOTA DE CONFIDENCIALIDAD
Este mensaje (y sus anexos) es confidencial y puede contener información
(i) de propiedad exclusiva de Turismo Pecom SACFI; o (ii) amparada por
el secreto profesional.
Si usted ha recibido este fax o e-mail por error, por favor comuníquelo
inmediatamente vía fax o e-mail y tenga la amabilidad de destruirlo; no
deberá copiar el mensaje ni divulgar su contenido a ninguna persona.
Muchas gracias.