Gnome FC5 Error

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sat Apr 29 04:12:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, April 28, 2006 8:02 pm, Bob McClure Jr said:
> On Fri, Apr 28, 2006 at 07:09:44PM -0600, Karl Pearson wrote:
>> I mentioned in a previous email some issues with running gnome-session
>> as my default X-win manager for FC5. The major problem it seems is when
>> I run gnome-terminal. I have tried xfce, which is quite nice but lacking
>> of some features I prefer. So, I'm back to KDE, which isn't a bad
>> alternative to Gnome.
>>
>> I use Lineakd for mapping my keyboard and I have a key assigned to
>> "gnome-terminal --geometry 80x60". Even in KDE when I use it, g-term
>> comes up but it remains black. So I ran it in konsole and here's the
>> error message:
>>
>> (gnome-terminal:7589): Gdk-CRITICAL **: gdk_gc_get_colormap: assertion
>> `GDK_IS_GC (gc)' failed
>>
>> I'm wondering if this is why gnome-panel dies, too, after gnome-terminal
>> fails to come up. I've CTRL-ALT F1 and logged in as root and killed
>> gnome-panel with no success. It starts back up, as it should, but
>> doesn't get displayed in X.
>>
>> This is a show-stopper for me. I can't use FC5 without gnome-terminal
>> and other gnome apps. I have specific programming needs at work which
>> gnome-terminal meets flawlessly, when working. konsole is a poor
>> substitute, but can be used. xterm is preferrable but I've not learned
>> how to control CTRL-H vs DEL, etc.
>
> I can't help with gnome*.  I've been using AfterStep, and sometimes
> IceWM, and plain old xterms.  Here's something on the CTRL-H vs DEL
> problem:
>
>   http://www.ibb.net/~anne/keyboard.html

Thanks for the link. If I have to twiddle with an app that much, where another
one works 'out of the box' I usually go with the latter. I have enough to
worry about keeping 30 something of "Bill's" OS going to have to tweek
everything I do when I'm upgrading/installing new REAL computer OSes.

>> I hope this is solveable. Fedora folks listening? I'm on too many lists and
>> don't need another one, so don't plan to cross-post this to a fedora list.
>
> It's a dirty rotten shame that the list that might likely have your
> answer is so busy you can't wade through all of it.  I don't have the
> time for it, so I settle for this list or Google.

I get email from the Ubuntu list. I can delete 300 emails every 5 - 6 hours
faster than anyone I know... I use procmail to filter out replies to any
questions I post. That makes life easier.

Karl