Which version should we use on an old machine?

Carl Reynolds redhat-install-list at hyperbole-software.com
Thu Aug 3 16:36:28 UTC 2006

My son was given a couple of old computers. They are Pentium 266MHz with
32MB of RAM and 2.6GB hard drives. He wants to learn more about
networking and we have some extra LAN cards lying around here. So I
suggested that he clean the disks and try to load Linux on them to
start. Then he can set one of them up as a router.

What version of Linux should he use on these machines? It seems to me
that any recent version of Fedora Core would need more memory and more
disk space than is available with these machines, but I have never tried
to install a minimal version of Linux on a machine.

Do you have any suggestions of which version would be good for him to
start with?

Thanks,
Carl.