Question regarding /etc/passwd

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Aug 4 18:07:38 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 09:35 -0700, Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> If in the shell location of an account, a /dev/null entry is placed.
>
> The account can't login, as there is no shell to login to.  Correct?
>
> Can scripts, etc. be executed as that account?  If so, how?  I'm
> assuming via su.

Uh, the more proper thing to do is make the shell either /sbin/nologin
or /sbin/noaccess (whichever is appropriate to your system) or the old
standby, /bin/false.  I wouldn't set it to /dev/null.

Note that if the shell No, you can't run anything that needs a shell or
stdin/stdout/stderr.

-          Consciousness: that annoying time between naps.           -