dma timeout expiry

Paul Campbell pwc at u.washington.edu
Fri Aug 4 23:44:28 UTC 2006

I have been trying to get
an install of fedora 5 or RH AS 4 up 3
on a Dell Precision 360 with limited sucess.

I have been able to get thru the install and boot
process by specifying "nodma" but after the install
io to the drive seems to very slow. Too slow to use
for development.

Machine has two WD 1200 JB disks

These are the Messages that I was getting before
I specified nodma

dma timeout expiry status = 0x61
dma timeout error status = 0x58
Drive Ready
Seek Complete
Data Request

The messages following that show
the disk geometry, so it's clear that
they can get to the drive.

Could the size of the disks be a problem ?

Machine runs Windows fine.

The Machine ran fine when it ran RedHat WS with a 2.4
kernel.

This must be a "Well - known problem" but I scanned
the archive for last year and could not find similiar.