How to install Nvidia device driver during RHEL4 install

Thomas Walter tbw at geo.hunter.cuny.edu
Thu Aug 10 17:53:41 UTC 2006

The normal RHEL4 install has problems with the Nvidia Quadro FX 3450 video
card. I have to do the install in text mode (not graphic) and when I
reboot off install the reboot hangs. Swapping in an Nvidia Quadro FX 4500
graphics card has no problems.

I tried a "linux dd" install where I'm prompted for device drivers. The
file I downloaded from Nvidia is "NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-8762-pkg1.run". I
copied to a CD but when I try to use it on the install, RHEL4 install
doesn't see it as a device driver.

Does anyone have any advice on how to procede? Thanks.

Tom

Thomas Walter
Geography & Computer Science Departments
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

(212)772-5457 Office
(212)772-5268 Fax