Modem Help

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Aug 15 22:41:24 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-08-15 at 01:24 +0000, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Help,
>
> I'm running RH9 and am having a real problem with my cable modem.
> It's a RCA DCM226.  Anyway, the modem resets itself every few days -
> and when it does it just goes through the power up cycle gets
> established then resets itself, over and over again.  Soon it will
> stablize and work - at least that was in the past.
>
> Now for some reason RedHat will not talk to the modem any longer -
> i.e. I can not access the internet.  My other computers don't seem to
> be having a problem once the modem is running OK, including an FC4
> machine and a XP machine.
>
> Any ideas out there for fixing either problem.

Is the modem feeding a router that the failing machine is plugged into?
E.g.:

   wall<------->modem<------>router<----->bad_machine

If so, it could be an ARP issue.  You can try to flush the ARP tables
manually or reboot the machine (much easier).  Also verify that you can
ping the router or modem.

-    First Law of Work:                                              -
-    If you can't get it done in the first 24 hours, work nights.    -