SendMail Help

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Wed Aug 16 03:31:13 UTC 2006

On Tue, August 15, 2006 5:50 pm, brad.mugleston at comcast.net wrote:
> Karl,
>
> Nice to hear from you.
>
> The problem I think I have with your solution is I haven't
> figured out how to send email through my mail server - all mail
> has to go direct from the sending machine.

I assume you mean the mail server on your network PCs is the mail server of
your ISP, is that right?

> My setup.  Cable line to Modem to Linksys switch (Cable and
> Wireless) then to various machines around the house including a
> second switch in the basement to handle additional computers.
> One computer is a Linux (FC4) machine that is a file server to
> all machines on the network and also runs Fetchmail.  This
> machine has been given access to the internet 24/7.  All other
> machines only get internet access from 4:30 pm to 9:30 pm when my
> wife or I am usually home.

My way would remove the Linksys switch and put a dual-homed Linux server in
it's place. That server would be your gateway, with the cable modem being the
primary firewall and the Linux server being the secondary firewall using
iptables. Since I don't know iptables well enough to give you rules for
specific switches, I can only point you to the O'Reilly Pocket Reference:
Linux iptables, Firewalls, nat and accounting, by Gregor N. Purdy. I'm just
getting into it.

> The way it works is fine.  The FC4 machine gets email about every
> 30 minutes from all the mail websites.

I actually do that on my server, too, but the email is sent to my own
server/domain. If you have the right ISP, you could get a static IP address
and DNS your server and get it to server your in-house email.

> My problem is I couldn't figure out how to get sendmail to round
> through my home network to the FC4 machine then out to the web so
> I need to somehow get the sendmail port (25 I believe) open so I
> can send emails out anytime.

To get it to work, you would have to (CMIIW, someone) follow my previous
suggestions...

Karl

> Thanks,
>
> Brad Mugleston, KI0OT
>
> There are 10 types of people in this world.  Those that
> understand binary and those that don't.
>
> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006, Karl Pearson wrote:
>
>> I close all outbound, but not inbound and the intranet is up all the time. I
>> do that by using 2 nics in my server and then use iptables to restrict
>> outbound on a schedule.
>>
>> If you would like to have help with this, let me know, and after I get my
>> own
>> server back to snuff.
>>
>> --
>> karl
>>      _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
>>     _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
>>    _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
>>   _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
>>  _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
>> ---
>> Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
>> http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
>> ---
>>  My Thoughts on Terrorism In America:
>>  http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
>> ---
>>  A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
>>  -Ramsey Clark
>> ---

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 The world is a dangerous place to live... not because of
 the people who are evil, but because of the people who
 don't do anything about it.
 - Albert Einstein
---