not able to install any RedHat Linux 4 in my new P4 maschine

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Dec 12 18:44:42 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-12-12 at 10:16 -0500, Mark Hammerton wrote:

> On 12/12/06, Birendra Kumar <ankeensah at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>         On 12/11/06, uday basu <basuuday at gmail.com> wrote:
>                 I have bought a new PC with the following
>                 configuration
>                 1. Pentium D 2.8 GHz
>
>                 2. P 4 intel original motherboard D946GNTL
>                 3. 80 GB SATA seagate HDD
>                 4. 512 DDR2 RAM zion (533)
>                 5. 17" Monitor
>

>                 but to me when i start installing RED AT LINUX
>                 ENTERPISE EDITION .. IT SHOWS THAT THERE IS NO HARD
>                 DRIVE .

> What chipset do you have that controllers that hard drive?  Can you
> test the Hard drive to make sure that it is working in another
> machine.

Also note that RHEL3 has limited SATA support.  RHEL4 has much better
support for SATA, but it's still not universal.  As Mark has written, we
need to know what chipset is being used for the SATA controller to
advise you.

You can also check Red Hat's hardware compatibility list:

http://enterprise.redhat.com/hcl/index.cgi?pagename=hcl&view=advsearch#form

-      Do you know how to save five drowning lawyers?  No?  GOOD!    -