network install floppy boot images

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Feb 2 22:48:32 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 15:22 -0600, Chris Hare wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> I can't seem to find the answer.  I have a small box here I need to
> install on.  It has no CD-ROM, and I don't have a USB CD-ROM anyhow.
> It has a good network card in it, and I could do a network install if
> I had a floppy boot image.  Can anyone provide any info on where to
> get one?  I need it for AS v4.
>
> Another option is a FAT formatted USB attached hard disk with the CD
> images extracted to it.  However, I can't find info on how to do this
> either.

If your machine can boot from USB, then go get a $35 128MB USB pen
drive.  Find a machine that does have a CD on it, put the first CD in
that drive AND plug in the USB pen drive.  Go to the CD's /images
directory.  You'll find a file called "diskboot.img".  You need to copy
that to the USB drive in raw mode.  If you're running Linux, the "dd"
command will do it:

	# dd if=diskboot.img of=/dev/sda

(assuming the pen drive is at /dev/sda).  If you're using Windows, you
need to use a program such as rawrite (do a google search for that).

When you're all done, go to the machine you want to install on, plug in
the pen drive and boot from it.  From there you can specify a network
install.

This is all explained in the installation handbook:

http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/enterprise/RHEL-4-Manual/x8664-multi-install-guide/

-          When all else fails, try reading the instructions.        -