httpd and dovecot service start fails

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Sun Feb 5 05:57:57 UTC 2006

On Sat, February 4, 2006 10:43 pm, Harold Hallikainen said:
> I'm installing FC4 on an old machine after having success on a new
> machine. I did a new install (instead of update) and modified the same
> configs I modified on the new machine. Here's the latest problem. This is
> getting real close to working correctly!
>
> If I do /sbin/service httpd restart or /sbin/service dovecot restart, the
> restart fails (the stop fails too since they did not start properly during
> boot). However, if I do /usr/sbin/httpd or /usr/sbin/dovecot , they both
> seem to run fine. How can I find out what's going wrong during boot or
> restart that's causing these to not run? I've looked in the httpd logs and
> the messages log and found nothing.

I would recommend (httpd) to go to the /var/log/httpd directory and remove
everything, then run service httpd start and see if there's anything in the
logs in that directory.

I'm not familiar enough with dovecot, even though I've now installed it on
all of my email servers, to offer a similar test. There may be one I also
will be interested in.

HTH,

Karl