kickstart file not found during PXE boot

Chris Hare c.hare at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 15:42:16 UTC 2006

This has had me running in circles for the last few hours.  Admittedly, this
is my first time using a kickstart file.

I followed the instructions in the Sys Admin manual for setting up for a PXE
boot.

The PXE client is successful at getting its static IP address from the DHCP
server.
It can download the TFTP images to boot.
But I immediately get an error that the kickstart file (null) isn't found.
(No such file or directory).  If I can fix this darn thing, this machine
will be running pretty damn fast because I think I have the other kinks
worked out of it (I hope).

The kickstart file is located in /tftpboot/linux-install/rhel-ES-4 and is
called ks-firewall.cfg  The boot images are found okay in this directory.

Here is the config data from /tftpboot/linux-install/pxelinux.cfg/default

default local
timeout 100
prompt 1
display msgs/boot.msg
F1 msgs/boot.msg
F2 msgs/general.msg
F3 msgs/expert.msg
F4 msgs/param.msg
F5 msgs/rescue.msg
F7 msgs/snake.msg

label local
  localboot 1

label 0
  localboot 1

label 1
  kernel rhel-ES-4/vmlinuz
  append initrd=rhel-ES-4/initrd.img ramdisk_size=7000 ks=ks-firewall.cfg
~