HAL deamon hangs at bootup...

John Wood john.wood at openda.com
Fri Feb 10 17:00:48 UTC 2006

Hi,

We have two IBM x346 servers, with hard disks running off IBM ServeRaid
7k.  I have tried without success to boot "Redhat Enterprise Application
Server 4" on either.  The install goes swimmingly, it asks me about
partitions, packages, network settings, date and time, and the "post
install" setup goes ok too, allowing me to do the activation.  Then,
after the last (what I assume is the last) "next" button, the screen
goes blank, and the monitor powers it's self down to standby.  Now, the
hard disk lights are still flashing, and the Num-Lock key still toggles,
so not sure what happens at this point.

After leaving the server alone for about an hour hoping it is just a
long final bit to the setup, I get fed up and reboot it, and it seems
fine, booting up with the gui.  It then switches to the character bootup
and asks me to do a file system check (which I select "yes").  It does
the check and then carries on with the startup, pausing finally on
"Starting HAL deamon".

Now, you know when you plug a monitor in with a higher resolution or
refresh rate than the monitor can handle and you get a load of funny
colours and lines?  Well, it has an inch deep of this across the top of
the monitor.  Not sure how this can happen, as the monitor can handle
resolutions higher than the standard 800x600 that Redhat was installed
with.

The mouse doesn't move, but again the "Num-lock" works and the hard
disks are still whirring, I just can't get it to boot any further!

Any help would be appreciated!!

http://www.star.net.uk