Dual User computer

Mark Knecht markknecht at gmail.com
Fri Feb 10 20:38:02 UTC 2006

Hi all,
   It's been awhile since I posted here. I hope you'll humor the question.

   We got interested in a very inexpensive way to move my mom, now in
her 70's, to Linux. My dad's been running Linux for over two years now
and loves it. My mom's Windows machine is old, slow and almost
completely unmaintained, meaning dangerous, etc.

   The idea I hit upon, since neither of them require ANY performance
and generally require almost no multimedia capabilities, was to
install a second PCI-based VGA in the existing machine, along with a
second mouse and keyboard. The idea was that possibly I could create a
new screen setup within the xorg.conf file that would link the new USB
keyboard/mouse to the PCI adapter while keeping the AGP adapter linked
with the PS/2 mouse/keyboard.

   Should this be possible somehow or are thee known problems?

   In the end, since we run gdm, I'd really like to get gdm displayed
on both monitors and allow logins from either keyboard, etc.

   Your thoughts about the idea are really appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark