Installation does not start....

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 14 23:53:19 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-14 at 18:23 -0500, tkobayas at indiana.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have migrated from WIN to LINUX just now and am trying to install RH
> WS4 on my celeron 351 CPU machine. As I would like to see how 64 bit
> redhat does for me, I downloaded and burned x86_64 iso images to 5 CDs.
>
> When I try to install WS4, it does not start installation processes,
> but instead, "ISOLINUX 3-11 ..." stays in black screen forever.... My
> motherboard is built in with Intel's graphic 950. According to Intel,
> this graphic chip is compatible with Linux.
>
> Is there something I should have done to start installing? Even if it
> starts, how can I install Intel's graphic driver so that I can enjoy
> graphic installation? Should I go with linux text???

Intel Celeron processors are 32-bit processors and can't run 64-bit
operating systems.  You need an AMD Athlon-64, AMD Opteron or Intel
Xeon-64 processor to run the x68_64 version.  You should download and
install the x86 version.

Note that the 64-bit processors I mention above can run EITHER the
x86_64 (64-bit) or x86 (32-bit) operating systems.
- Do not taunt the sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger -