/dev/ttyUSB0 and PPP

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Mon Feb 20 02:15:17 UTC 2006

> I'm trying to set up a ppp connection through my cellphone. I'm using a
USB to EIA232 adapter on FC4_64. I can talk to the cellphone (send AT
commands, dial, etc.) from GtkTerm using /dev/ttyUSB0 when logged in as
root. As another user, I get permission denied.

> Desktop/SystemSettings/Network lets me define a modem device on ports
such
> as  dev/ttyS0, etc., dev/modem, dev/tty|1, dev/input/ttyACM0, dev/ttyM0,
etc. But, no /dev/ttyUSB0.

> So... what do I do to set up a ppp connection on my cellphone modem on
/dev/ttyUSB0?

Still working on this... A google search came up with the suggestion that
I add

ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 /dev/modem

to my /etc/rc.local . I've done that and am still having trouble getting
ppp to dial out. I'm using the network configure menu
desktop/SystemSettings/network. At one point, I could see it dial just the
1 dialing prefix, but not the rest of the number. Currently, it doesn't
try to dial at all. Instead, I get "cannot connect to network device" when
I try to activate it.

As root, I can talk to the cellphone using gtkterm. As a non-root user, I
get permission denied. Here's a little more info:

[root at hhlaptop ~]# ls -l /dev/modem
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 12 Feb 19 18:00 /dev/modem -> /dev/ttyUSB0
[root at hhlaptop ~]# ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw----  1 root uucp 188, 0 Feb 19 18:04 /dev/ttyUSB0
[root at hhlaptop ~]#

So... any ideas?

THANKS!!!