RHEL 4 and SATA disk

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Tue Feb 21 23:09:03 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 14:05 -0300, Luiz Gustavo Anflor Pereira wrote:

> Hello all
>
> I am trying to install a Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 update 1 on a Dell
> machine (Power Edge 850), with a SATA disk, model ST380013AS, but the
> linux does not recognize the disks...
>
> What can i do? Is there a driver that anybody knows?

I believe there's a driver on the Dell website for that.  It'll be in
the form of an "img" file that you have to "dd" or "rawrite" to a
floppy, then do the install but specify "linux dd" at the "boot:"
prompt.  When the system asks for the driver disk, pop the floppy you
made in and things should go OK.

The URL for the page is:

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=gen&releaseid=R97743&SystemID=PWE_P4_850&os=LIN4&osl=en&deviceid=5646&devlib=0&typecnt=2&vercnt=1&formatcnt=1&fileid=126591

Follow the instructions.

-      To err is human, to forgive, beyond the scope of the OS       -