Fedora Core 4 and Ubuntu

karlp at ourldsfamily.com karlp at ourldsfamily.com
Fri Feb 24 20:25:48 UTC 2006

On Fri, February 24, 2006 12:01 pm, Rick Stevens said:
> On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 19:57 -0700, karlp at ourldsfamily.com wrote:
>> of
>> works
>> >
>> > How are you syncing?  USB?  Bluetooth?  I've never had a problem.
>>
>> USB only. That's the only way a Tungsten T5 comes. Overall, Ubuntu handles
>> USB devices better. The USB port doesn't come and go with the connect.
>> It's
>> a MAKEDEV type device all the time. I get permission problems and had to
>> write a script that sets the owner every few seconds. That didn't work
>> more
>> than once in about 15-25 tries. I changed to a hardware update so when a
>> USB
>> device is attached, the permissions are changed to my user and that
>> doesn't
>> work more than once every 5-10 times. I ran the script with that and
>> didn't
>> see any improvement.
>
> Well, shoot.  I sync my ancient Handspring Visor on FC4 via USB all the
> time, and I sync my E2 via either USB or bluetooth (bluetooth mostly) as
> well.
>
> The USB sync (at least as far as pilot-link is concerned) is always on
> /dev/ttyUSB1.  Bluetooth is a bit more involved.
>
>> This has been a while and I gave up, syncing to Win2000 (VMWare guest)
>> only.
>> I'm actually thinking of installing Ubuntu on VMWare and seeing how that
>> works.

I did that. It works out-of-the-box, as-advertised...

> I can send you what I have for FC4, if it'll help.

That would be helpful. Thanks,

Karl

karl
     _/  _/      _/      _/_/_/       ____________   __o
    _/ _/       _/      _/    _/     ____________  _-\<._
   _/_/        _/      _/_/_/                     (_)/ (_)
  _/ _/       _/      _/           ......................
 _/   _/ arl _/_/_/  _/ earson    KarlP at ourldsfamily.com
---
Senior Consulting Sys/DB Analyst
http://consulting.ourldsfamily.com
---
 My Thoughts on Terrorism In America right after 9/11/2001:
 http://www.ourldsfamily.com/wtc.shtml
---
 A right is not what someone gives you; it's what no one can take from you.
 -Ramsey Clark
---