FC4 and Intel 82559 NIC?

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 9 18:12:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 19:06 -0800, Harold Hallikainen wrote:

> > This weekend I loaded FC4 onto my server that had been running RH8.
> > Everything seems to have gone smoothly EXCEPT the LAN does not work. It
> > seems to find the two ethernet interfaces, but does not talk to the
> > remainder of the network. I've tried both static IP and DHCP. Neither
> > seems to work. Do I need a special driver for the NIC? If so, where do I
> > find it, and how do I install it?
> >
> > THANKS!
> >
> > Harold
> >

> Following up... I found the e100 driver at
> http://www.intel.com/support/network/adapter/1000/linux/e100.htm and
> followed the instructions there. Stuff is still not working. Looking at
> /var/log/messages, I see
>
> e100: eth0: eth0: e100_probe: addr 0xd6202000, irq 11, MAC addr
> 00:E0:81:03:AF:3C
>
> I see a similar message for eth1.
>
> A while later is
> e100: eth0: e100_wathcdog: link up, 10Mbps, half-duplex
>
> A while later it cannot find ntp.org
>
> Then NETDEV WATCHDOG eth0; transmit timed out
> then another watchdog message.
>
> Any ideas?

First, as the root user, do "ifconfig" and verify that there's actually
IP addresses assigned to your NIC.  Next (also as root), do "netstat
-rn" and verify that the default gateway is pointing at your router.

If that's all good, then you may be blocked by either iptables or
SELinux.  Try turning off iptables temporarily by "service iptables
off" (as root again).  If that doesn't work, try (as root) "setenforce
0" to temporarily disable SELinux.

-    Admitting you have a problem is the first step toward getting   -
-    medicated for it.      -- Jim Evarts (http://www.TopFive.com)   -