Aliased IPs

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 9 22:26:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 11:58 -0700, redhat at buglecreek.com wrote:
> We have a server that that has a bunch of aliased IP addresses (eth0:1 -
> eth0:20).  When doing a reboot or "service network restart" all of the
> aliased ips show in the up condition with ifconfig, but when trying to
> ping some of them they do not respond.  When we manually do ifup eth0:5
> for example the interface starts responding.  If we do this to all the
> interfaces that initially do not respond they all seem to work fine.
> Any clues as to why this is?
>
> System runs Redhat ES4 Update 2
>
> Standard interface config file:
> DEVICE=eth0:5
> ONBOOT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> NETMASK=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
> GATEWAY=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx

You can only have ONE gateway on an interface.  What's happening is
that the default gateway keeps getting wonked by the GATEWAY= stuff
in each config file.

You should set up a single GATEWAY= line in the /etc/sysconfig/network
file AND DELETE IT from all the
 /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ethx:y files.

-  Animal testing is futile.  They always get nervous and give the   -
-                             wrong answers                          -