FC4 and Intel 82559 NIC?

Harold Hallikainen harold at hallikainen.com
Wed Jan 11 17:49:09 UTC 2006

>> Everything seems to have gone smoothly EXCEPT the LAN does not work.
>> remainder of the network. I've tried both static IP and DHCP. Neither
>> seems to work. Do I need a special driver for the NIC? If so, where do

>> followed the instructions there. Stuff is still not working. Looking at
>> /var/log/messages, I see
>> 00:E0:81:03:AF:3C
>> >
>> > First, as the root user, do "ifconfig" and verify that there's
>> actually
>> IP addresses assigned to your NIC.  Next (also as root), do "netstat
>> -rn"
>> and verify that the default gateway is pointing at your router.
>> >
>> > If that's all good, then you may be blocked by either iptables or
>> SELinux.  Try turning off iptables temporarily by "service iptables off"
>> (as root again).  If that doesn't work, try (as root) "setenforce 0" to
>> temporarily disable SELinux.
>> >

>> Thanks for the responses! It's really a pain to not have network
>> connectivity. I can't just copy and paste stuff into an email. Instead,
>> I'm copying off one screen and typing on another (my laptop). So excuse
>> the typos! It's interesting that I'm having network problems with this
>> one
>> machine. I've installed FC4 on another server and my laptop with no
>> problem. Oh well...
>>
>> I tried the stuff above to get the network back and was about to type
>> all
>> the results when I thought I'd try something else (anything to avoid
>> typing all that stuff). This is a dual processor machine that had always
>> worked fine using SMP on RH8. I tried telling it to NOT run smp on a
>> reboot, and the network works great! No other changes! I'll mess with it
>> some more in the next couple days. Is anyone else running smp on FC4?
>
> I do, a lot.  Two things to check...first, make bloody sure the
> motherboard is running the latest BIOS from the vendor.  If this is an
> AMD-based SMP machine, try booting with the "noapic" option set (add
> " noapic" to the end of the kernel line at the grub boot screen).
> If you don't know how to do that:
>
> 1. Boot the machine.
>
> 2. At the screen that displays the various kernels, use the arrow keys
> to select the SMP kernel and hit "E".
>
> 3. Use the arrow keys to scroll down to the line that starts with
> "kernel".
>
> 4. Hit "E" again.  Use the arrow keys to go to the end of the line.
>
> 5. Put in " noapic" (don't forget the space) at the end of the line.
>
> 6. Hit "ENTER" to exit the edit mode, then "B" to boot the machine.
>
> 7. The machine should now boot with the "noapic" option.
>
> NOTE: This is temporary and will only survive this boot.  If you need
> the "noapic" option permanently, you must edit the /boot/grub/grub.conf
> file.

Thanks! I'll give it a try! The BIOS is the original one that came with
the board (maybe 5 years ago). I haven't done any BIOS upgrades in a
while, but back when I did, they seemed to assume you were running DOS. I
just looked at the Tyan website and see that BIOS updates are done by
booting from floppy with DOS. I'll try upgrading the BIOS as soon as I can
find the time (within a week, I hope). Ideally that will ALSO fix the
problem I had when I tried a pair of 80G drives (install went fine, but
then during reboot the drives could not be found by FC4... the BIOS says
they're there, though.).

THANKS!

Harold

--