Problem making dual-boot Optiplex GX620

Thomas Walter tbw at geo.hunter.cuny.edu
Wed Jan 11 19:10:42 UTC 2006

I recently received 25 Dell Optiplex GX620s with two 160GB SATA hard
drives (DC115 HARD DRIVE, 160G, S2, 7.2K, 8M, LEAD FREE, WD-HAWK) and
WinXP installed. I want to make the machines dual-boot and first tried to
install RHEL 3. The install did not see the hard drives. My search on the
web indicated spotty Linux support for SATA hard drives so I downloaded
RHEL 4 ES update 2 and tried to install. The Optiplex boots off the first
install CD, passes the CD media test, begins running annaconda, probes and
sees video card, monitor and mouse, etc but then hangs when going into X
leaving a white screen.

We don't have a Redhat support contract so they're no help and the Dell
rep spent 10 days "researching" an answer and only referred me to a web
site I found in a nanosecond. I have to return the 25 computers by 1/13 if
I can't find a solution. Dell sells the Precision workstation with the
same 160GB SATA drives with RHEL installed so I don't know where the
problem might lie.

Any help will, of course, be greatly appreciated.

Tom

Thomas Walter
Geography & Computer Science Departments
Hunter College of the City University of New York
695 Park Avenue
New York, NY 10021

(212)772-5457 Office
(212)772-5268 Fax