finding free memory slots

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Jan 12 17:40:00 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 15:13 +0000, Tech Guy wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to know if there is any command in redhat linux to know
> the hardware configuration for the system .
>
> I want to know the available free MEMORY slots or CPU slots without
> opening the box.

There's no way to determine how many memory, PCI or AGP slots there
are by querying the OS.  The BIOS may know as it's mobo-specific,
but the OS only knows what responds when it probes the various buses.

When the OS probes the PCI bus for example, what's installed responds
and the system allocates resources for it.  However, things that AREN'T
there don't respond (obviously)...and that includes empty slots of any
kind.  So, you know what's installed AND how much contiguous memory you
have starting at address 0, but you don't know HOW that memory is spread
across the SIMMS, DIMMS, whatever.

-                       When in doubt, mumble.                       -