Setting Kernel Parameters

E. Craig Brown ecbrown at lanl.gov
Fri Jan 13 00:34:55 UTC 2006

I am trying to change the default values for kernel parameters
rmem_default, rmem_max, wmem_default and wmem_max. I modify the
/etc/sysctl.conf file and add rows:
rmem_default = 262144
rmem_max = 262144
wmem_default = 262144
wmem_max = 262144

In case this looks familiar, I am doing this to install an Oracle database.
I have set the values of other kernel parameters in this way, however, when
I try to set these and execute sysctl -p, these four return a message of
error: 'rmem_default' is an unknown key
error: 'rmem_max' is an unknown key
error: 'wmem_default' is an unknown key
error: 'wmem_max' is an unknown key
Do any of you have any ideas as to why these parameters will not be set? I
run the command "/sbin/sysctl -a | grep rmem_default" and have a message
return the current value of each of these as expected. My guess is that
while I am using the specific string that the Oracle Documentation guide
suggests to use to change the values of these parameters, I probably need a
different syntax.
Thank you,
Craig