run commands remotely?

Bret Stern bret_stern at machinemanagement.com
Fri Jan 13 01:16:01 UTC 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com
[mailto:redhat-install-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Rick Stevens
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 4:57 PM
To: Getting started with Red Hat Linux
Subject: Re: run commands remotely?

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 16:35 -0800, mike wrote:
> what if i want to run a command on a linux box remotely from a windows
> machine and i want to pass in different parameters at any given time.
> is this as difficult as it sounds?

No.  If you run sshd on the Linux box, you can use something like "putty" on
Windows, log into the Linux box and run whatever you want.

-      "Doctor!  My brain hurts!"  "It will have to come out!"       -

Putty can be found by searching google..or go to
 http://www.openssh.com/windows.html

very reliable remote terminal. a good way to find out where things
are in Linux (because the x graphical screen is very nice on FC4
and hides the details of editing setup files etc)
so you get to try editing using 'vi' to read logs and such.
(i still like 'edlin' better)

redhat-install-list-request at redhat.com