Setting Kernel Parameters

Said MOKHTARI s.mokhtari at menara.ma
Sun Jan 15 13:55:36 UTC 2006

The parameter your are trying to set are not for Linux (RedHat), i guess
they are for Solaris or HPUX

The right params for ORacle 9i are
# configuration du fichier /etc/sysctl.conf

#Disable packet forwarding
net.ipv4.ip_forwardi = 0
#Enable source route verification
net.ipv4.conf.default.rp_filter = 1
#Disable the magic-sysrq key
kernel.sysrq = 0
# Parametres for Oracle9i R2 (9.0.2) and +
kernel.sem =  250 32000 100 128
# kernel.shmmax = 2147483647 (2Gb) if you have 4GB RAM
kernel.shmmax = 2147483647
kernel.shmmni = 4096
kernel.shmall = 2097152
fs.file-max = 65536
net.ipv4.ip_local_port_range = 1024 65000

# to activate the new params (hot) :
sysctl -p

Verify the file /etc/pam.d/system-auth :
session    required    /lib/security/pam_limits.so
session    required    /lib/security/pam_unix.so

Add these lines to the file /etc/security/limits.conf
oracle        soft        nofile        4096
oracle        hard        nofile        8192