RH AS 4U2 - LVM extend

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Mon Jan 16 18:23:24 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 08:54 +0000, Chiu, PCM (Peter) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I recall in the past that I was able to extend a lvm file system
> without the need of reformatting and restoring the contents, but
> I don't seem to be able to do under RH AS 4U2.
>
> Below are the steps that I take.  vgdisplay shows the volume group
> capacity is extended, but lvdisplay shows the logical volume is not.
> Have I missed something here?
>
> Thanks.
>
> fdisk /dev/had to make new partitions 7 and 8 with type 8e
>
> pvcreate /dev/hda7
> vgcreate peter-vg /dev/hda7
> lvcreate -L 2G /dev/peter-vg -n peter-lv
> mke2fs -j /dev/peter-vg/peter-lv
> mount /dev/peter-vg/peter-lv /data
> - A 2GB /data is mounted and works ok.
>
> umount /data
> pvcreate /dev/hda8
> vgextend peter-vg /dev/hda8
> lvextend -L 4G /dev/peter-vg/peter-lv
>
> The last command is accepted but no action is taken.

Did you try it with a "-v" option to see what it was doing?  Did you
check /var/log/messages and the output of "dmesg" to see if any errors
were spewed out?

> The /dev/peter-vg/peter-lv is still mounted as a 2GB file system.

You mean when you remount /data it still shows as a 2GB filesystem?
How big is /dev/hda8?

> Tried reboot, vgscan and vgchange -ay, no luck.

It should have, unless /dev/hda8 isn't 4G in size.  If there's an
issue, I'd expect an error message...either on the console or in
/var/log/messages or dmesg.
-  BASIC is the Computer Science version of `Scientific Creationism' -